DC Studios CEO James Gunn gave it to us on Tuesday First look at the DC Studios slate of upcoming movies and HBO Max TV shows, which include well-known characters like Batman and Supergirl as well as lesser-known characters like Booster Gold, Creature Commandos, and The Authority.
The upcoming Superman: Legacy movie will mark the “true beginning” of the reborn superhero universe. A new actor will replace Henry Cavill as the Man of Steel in the film, which is due in theaters July 11, 2025.
Just as the Marvel Cinematic Universe has “phases” (it’s heading to Phase 5 this year), so does DC’s upcoming slate Gods and Monsters. Gunn and fellow DC CEO Peter Safran revealed that the same actors will often play the same roles in film and TV, so don’t get confused by someone playing The Flash on TV and someone else on the big screen. But they’ve also confirmed that there’s still room for different versions of certain characters, like the already confirmed sequels starring Robert Pattinson’s The Batman and Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker.
Gunn, who is also known for his directing and writing work, laid out his initial first term plans on a list that includes movies and HBO Max shows:
- Commando is a creature A seven-episode animated series written by Gunn.
- Waller A live-action spin-off of the HBO series Max Peacemaker (which was also a spin-off from the Suicide Squad films) featuring Viola Davis as the head of a secret government task force.
- Superman: Legacy Written by Gunn, it Henry Cavill will not appear as a hero and It wouldn’t be an origin story. Instead, according to Safran, the film will focus on Superman “balancing his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing.” Photographs by artist Frank Queley and writer Grant Morrison The story of the beloved All-Star comic Superman It was shown while Jan was talking about it.
- lanterns HBO Max TV series that follows Green Lanterns Hal Jordan and John Stewart. This space cop show takes inspiration from True Detective, and follows our heroes as they solve a mystery on Earth.
- Authority A movie about a tough superhero who is willing to use “any means necessary” to protect the planet. Ironically, The Authority began as a satire of DC superheroes, including satirical versions of Superman and Batman who were in a love affair, but DC bought publisher Wildstorm and eventually absorbed the characters into the DC comics mainstream.
- Paradise Lost Series set on Wonder Woman’s island of Themyscira, inspired by Game of Thrones.
- Brave and daring A movie that will introduce the DCU’s new Batman and its most obnoxious Robin: his son, Damian Wayne, who was raised by assassins. Gunn cites Damian as his favorite Robin, and the movie takes its cues from it Run Grant Morrison comics. Batman in this movie will not be played by Robert Pattinson, who portrayed the character last year Batman.
- gold booster A series about a loser from the future who uses future technology to return to the present day and win people’s love by becoming a superhero. It’s “the superhero story of impostor syndrome,” according to Gunn.
- Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow A movie about Superman’s cousin. It’s a sci-fi story based on Tom King’s 2022 comic series, and it will highlight how Supergirl’s difficult childhood made her role even more intense than Superman. It has yet to be confirmed if Sasha Calle will star after playing Supergirl in the upcoming Flash movie.
- swamp thing A horror film that concludes the opening stage of films and shows. The Swamp Thing has appeared in live-action before, in two ’80s movies, a ’90s TV show, and a short-lived 2019 series.
Gunn did not mention any casting details for the new continuity series Superman or Batman.
Last October, Jenn and Safran take the lead To bring Superman, Batman and other DC comics characters into new film, television, animation and video game projects under a reorganized division of Warner Bros. Discovery.
The newly announced movie projects aren’t the only DC movies on the horizon. Shazam: Wrath of the Gods comes out on March 17, Sparkle hits theaters June 16 (and will reset continuity), blue beetle Up August 18th and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom It is scheduled for December 25th.
Additionally, there are two Batman-inspired films with a sequel in the works: 2019 joker and 2022 Batman. The latter will be titled Batman Part Two and be separate from The Brave and the Bold’s story, which is Comes out October 3, 2025According to The Hollywood Reporter.
Although last October Black Adam He sought to establish Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as a leading light for the DC Universe – and bring in Cavill Again as Superman – Johnson He won’t come back In the first phase of the new DC movies and Cavill He does not reprise his role Superman.
On the TV side, the HBO Max series peace maker – A secondary movie from 2021 Suicide Squad — will return for a second seasonthe flash The ninth and final season Starting February 9, the third season of Superman and Lois Launches in March and Colin Farrell Penguin From Batman gets his own show. It was the animated series Harley Quinn It has been renewed for season 4And he is getting it Valentine’s Day special.
However, Titans and Doom Patrol will ending after their fourth seasons. The second parts of both seasons are set to hit HBO Max later this year.
Gunn also has another project coming from DC rival Marvel: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 – xxxii Marvel Cinematic Universe movie It hits theaters on May 5.
New movies coming in 2023 from Marvel, Netflix, DC, and more
View all photos